Thursday, November 18, 2010

No tears!

Well I am feeling much better today. Thank goodness! I think I have finally said goodbye to the shoulder pain but you never know when it's gonna pop up and hurt again, so hopefully I haven't jinxed myself by saying it's gone!

I have uploaded a couple of pics for you! I love picture posts and would like to be less lazy and include some pictures of my journey with you all.

So the top pic is me before surgery - I was SO excited! The second is of my lovely inflatable stockings and the 3rd is of my belly post surgery.

Firstly let me say - NO TEARS! I was so amazed that I didn't cry, I really thought that I would but no - I was all smiles right up to the time they put the "oxygen" mask on me and then I don't anything after that!!

I had to be at the hospital by 7am - I was so thankful I was first on the surgery list. I didn't have time to think I was too busy getting ready for the 8am start. We started a little late - I think 8.15 and by 10.30 I was back up in my room! I remember waking in recovery for a short period of time but I was so drowsy I was more just in and out of conciousness and didn't really pick up on what was going on around me.

I spent most of that day on/off sleeping. I was a bit sore but no where as bad as I expected - until I got up! Once I was vertical the shoulder pain gripped me like an SOB!!

I wasn't expecting it to be that intense - I knew it may happen but wasn't prepared for how intense it would be. I have been using panadol and heat packs as well as moving around to get it to go away - fingers crossed it is now gone.

The next morning I was called to go have the dreaded barium swallow xray - to be honest it wasn't that bad - it certainly wasnt pleasant but it was tolerable. I can't believe how sweet it is - it took some time to get the taste out of my mouth.

Tony, my surgeon, came down and said he was happy with the xray and I was right to go home when I was ready! Yay!

I got a lot of information when leaving the hospital about post surgery care as well as a special information from Tony about what to expect over the next few weeks.

I was really amazed at how quick the process really is.

So here I am - day 3 post op. I am starting to feel a bit more normal. I must admit I am having trouble with my head at the moment. My head wants to eat something - not because I'm hungry but because it what I used to do - you know - crazy but I'm sure that it will catch up to the new band way of living (hopefully). My mum and hubby have been great - and the kids have tried to stay away from my tummy which has been good. Its hard to tell a soon to be 4 yr old and a 2 yr old that they can't give mummy big tummy cuddles :( but I will just have to catch up on the cuddles when I am all better!!

Well I have to go prepare a birthday party for my son (he's turning 4!) I have just found out that there are over 30 kids coming to this party!!!! Argh! Wish me luck - I will definately need it!

Thank you for all your thoughts - it is so great to know that you all know what I am going through and what's to come.


  1. Each day gets a little better. Glad you're bouncing back. 30 kids are a lot so I hope you have some help!

  2. Congratulations, and welcome to Bandlandia! I'm looking forward to following your journey.

  3. So glad it went well! You sound good. Be sure to get lots of rest.

  4. wahooo :) It sounds like things went wonderfully! I had trouble with my head at first too. It will get easier and then sometimes sneak up an gety you from behind..even now for me :)

    I can't believe you are organizing a b-day party!! take it easy now and don't do too much :)


  5. Yay for an update. So glad surgery was smooth and your feeling better. I had a picture perfect surgery and recovery; I wish the same for you! Can't wait to see more pics and get more updates.

  6. I noticed a big improvement by day 3. Recovery does go pretty quick :)

    I wish I got a pic in my hospital gown! Your tummy looks great.

    It's so weird waking up in recovery, knowing you're now a bandit :)

    How are you going getting all your liquids in?

  7. I am so happy for you! And I can't believe you are already over most of the shoulder pain! I JUST got rid of it a couple days ago, almost four weeks later! Best of luck with the party!

  8. Yay! Sounds like it all went really well. You are well on your way now which is fantastic.

    Good luck with the party!


  9. Hi Kellie! Just came across your blog, I am also from Hobart and was banded by Tony on Novemeber 11 this year! He is so lovely isn't he?! How are your liquids going? I have 4 days left, then onto puree =)